Who is it for?
Read Write Inc. Spelling is for children in Years 2 to 6 (P3–7) who have completed Read Write Inc. Phonics and for children who have met the English National Curriculum expectations for reading in Year 2.
Direct teaching underpins the programme. Spelling is taught cumulatively and systematically, with deliberate, focused practice. Constant revision and practice are key to children’s success.
Children learn the routines and behaviours for each activity, and practise these until they use them automatically.
This allows them to focus on what matters most – learning to spell.
The spelling programme:
- makes sense of the most complex alphabetic code in the world- 150 spellings of 44 speech sounds.
- builds upon teaching strategies and spelling activities from Read Write Inc. Phonics
- is organised in daily, 15-minute well-paced lessons
- provides plenty of writing practice, with a clear record of children’s progress.
The programme’s core activities teach:
- alternative spellings of vowels
- alternative spellings of consonants
- the impact of adding prefixes and suffixes to root words
- spelling plural nouns
- ‘silent’ letters
- unusual letter strings
- word families.
It includes all the spelling requirements of the English National Curriculum Years 2 to 6, and revises spelling taught in Year 1.
Organising Read Write Inc. Spelling
How to organise the teaching of spelling in a class or across a year group.
The weekly timetable
How to organise the 12 key activities across the week to teach something new, practise and review.
Read Write Inc. Spelling Online
Aliens introduce the spelling concept for each new unit on Read Write Inc. Spelling Online from Oxford Owl.