This policy (revised in October 2023) covers the following services operated by Ruth Miskin Literacy Limited:
- ruthmiskin.com – Ruth Miskin Training Website
- schools.ruthmiskin.com – Ruth Miskin Training Schools Portal, including Online Assessment
- mybookblog.org – My Book Blog Portal
- talkthroughstories.com – Talk Through Stories Website and Portal
- Other internal information systems operated by Ruth Miskin Literacy Limited
This privacy notice explains what personal information we collect and hold on users. It explains why we hold this information, what we do with it, how long we keep it for and if we share it with anyone else.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation Act 2018, Ruth Miskin Literacy Limited (‘we’ or ‘us’) is the ‘data controller’ (ie the company who is responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal data).
The type of personal data we collect
• Email addresses
• Payment card info
• Pupil first name
• Pupil assessment data
• Technical data collected via cookies and similar technologies
We will obtain personal data about you (such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, role, dietary information) when you choose to provide it to us via the website enquiry forms or email and by subscribing to our services.
When you sign up for our newsletter, we will obtain your name and email address.
We will obtain pupil assessment data when you use the Online Assessment toll on the school portal.
We may also obtain sensitive personal data about you if you volunteer it during the completion of an online booking enquiry form. If you volunteer such information, you will be consenting to our processing it for the purpose of providing our training.
Personal data of School Staff
We will use your personal data for a number of purposes. These purposes include:
• Because it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you
• To help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us
• To offer technical support
• Research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis
• Fraud prevention and detection
• Billing and order fulfilment
• Customising this website and its content to your particular preferences
• To notify you of any changes to our services that may affect you
Online assessment data
• The first name and initial letter of surname of pupil
• Phonics assessment data
We will be using the data to:
• Support pupil learning
• Monitor and report on progress to schools and trusts
• Where necessary for the performance of a contract
We only collect and use pupil’s data as permitted by law. You can find out more about the law by visiting the Information Commissioner’s Office website at www.ico.org.uk.
Information about other individuals
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
• Give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data
• Receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices
• Give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad
• Give consent to the processing of his/her dietary requirements.
We may disclose your personal data to service providers. You can find their own privacy statements on their websites:
• Digital Ocean
We may disclose your personal data to law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity.
Keeping your Data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
• Access to your account is controlled by a password and user name that are unique to you
• We store your personal data on secure servers
• All data is encrypted using SSL technology (typically you will see a lock icon or green address bar (or both) in your browser when we use this technology).
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
Duration of the processing
This will be from the commencement of the agreement to its termination.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
• Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
• Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
• Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
• Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
• Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
• Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
• You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to make a request.
Messages from Ruth Miskin Literacy Ltd are confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information for the intended purposes only.
• Ruth Miskin Literacy Ltd does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of our email communications
• Any views or opinions presented are those of the author only and not of Ruth Miskin Literacy Ltd
• If an email has come to you in error, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org and delete it immediately
• If you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it
• Ruth Miskin Literacy Ltd may intercept incoming and outgoing email communications
• Although Ruth Miskin Training Ltd operates anti-virus scanners, we do not accept responsibility for any damage that is caused by viruses being passed.
Marketing & Opting out
If you have given permission, we may contact you by email, phone or mail about products, training, special offers, promotions that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive any direct marketing communications from us, you can opt out at any time. See ‘Your rights’, below for further information.
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at email@example.com.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk
Our contact details
Name: Ruth Miskin Literacy
Address: 7 Sandy’s Row, E1 7HW London, UK
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Contact us form.