Ruth Miskin Training assigns an RMT leader to the trust who:
- provides a half-termly report following an analysis of pupils reading accuracy and fluency across the trust, and schools’ fidelity to the programme
- meets with leaders to review school-by-school data
- draws up an individual action plan for each school following each review
- organises half-termly training with reading leaders to build a team of expert teachers.
Commitments: trust directors
Ruth Miskin Training offers elements 1, 2 and 3 above free of charge and a 25% discount on the Phonics training and support packages, on the understanding that:
- the trust has at least four schools
- all schools adopt Read Write Inc. Phonics (we sometimes agree to 90% adoption in large trusts)
- every headteacher appoints a reading leader from Key Stage 1 or Reception
- every headteacher agrees to meet the 10 commitments below
- the trust appoints a trust-wide reading leader
- trust directors will review the schools’ data and commitment to Read Write Inc. with the trust-wide reading leader and RMT leader every half term.
Commitments: trust wide reading leader
The trust wide reading leader will:
- co-ordinate the training and support plan agreed between trust leaders and RMT
- review schools’ data and commitment to Read Write Inc. with the RMT leader every half term
- take responsibility for all communication within the trust – between trust leaders and schools, Ruth Miskin Training and Oxford University Press
- ensure schools are fully resourced
- check schools meet the 10 commitments.
The headteacher agrees to appoint a reading leader from Key Stage 1 or Reception, and agrees to:
- organise weekly practice sessions using the Online subscription
- coach teachers during lessons (Reading leaders do not teach their own group)
- assess and track pupils’ reading progress every half term
- group pupils according to progress
- organise for the slowest progress pupils to be tutored for 10 minutes every day
- ensure the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme is taught in full for one hour five days a week in Year 1 and above, and 20 minutes rising to 40 minutes a day in Reception
- ensure that Read Write Inc. decodable storybooks and Virtual Classroom links are sent home for pupils to practise every week
- ensure that eligible pupils complete the whole programme, including pupils in older year groups who are not reading at a level commensurate with their age
- work with the RMT trainer on Development days/ remote progress meetings and reading leader training
- share assessment data with Ruth Miskin Training every term.