Phonics training and support package
Ruth Miskin Training has a team of 120 trainers who work in schools across the country.
Our training package combines face-to-face training and in-school support with comprehensive online training.
This training package is suitable for schools with pupils with SEN/D or in an additionally resourced provision (ARP), attached to mainstream school.
The training and support include:
- An online subscription
- A Leadership implementation day
- Face-to-face training day
- Development day
- Remote progress meetings.
The first year of implementation includes all five elements. Subsequent years include 1, 4 and 5.
1. Online subscription
- Bite-sized training
Train staff in school and practise the next day’s lessons
- In-action films in the classroom
Watch experienced teachers in lessons
- Virtual classroom
Watch Set 1, 2 and 3 phonic lessons
Use during lessons to assess children’s progress
Provide children with extra individual practice
Continue lessons when a supply teacher is taking the class
Send home the lessons you have taught each week
- Bite-sized online training for Fast Track Tutoring
Show tutors how to support children making slower progress, including those who have SEN/D
- Fast track tutoring in-action films
Watch experienced tutors help children make speedy progress.
Online training for all other programmes is included in the cost of the Phonics training and support package.
2. Leadership implementation day
We show the headteacher, deputy, reading leader and reception teacher the systems necessary to ensure success.
This day is essential for new schools and those that have not worked with us in the last three years.
This does not require a school closure.
We show you how to:
- upload data to the RMT portal and analyse it
- ensure children are grouped homogeneously
- organise and implement daily one-to-one tuition to teach the most vulnerable children
- run weekly practice sessions and coach reading teachers
- set online training pathways.
Watch the film below to find out more about the Online subscription that is part of the Read Write Inc. Phonics training and support package, provided by Ruth Miskin Training.
Please note that Oxford University Press provides the Read Write Inc. Phonics online subscription on Oxford Owl which includes resources for teaching alongside other print and digital resources.
3. Development days
These days are critical. We work with the headteacher, reading leader, teachers and children while the school is open. We help schools move quickly to being judged good or outstanding by Ofsted.
We recommend that schools requiring improvement book at least three days’ support in the first year.
We work with your reading leader to:
- analyse your current data from the RMT portal and decide next steps
- implement daily one-to-one tuition to teach the most vulnerable children
- implement weekly practice sessions and coach reading teachers
- set online training pathways for individual staff
- make the most of the Virtual Classroom in school and at home.
4. Face-to-face training day
We show your staff step by step how to teach Read Write Inc. Phonics and the processes that underpin learning to read and write.
For each activity, your staff will:
- watch a film or join in with a demonstration
- use the teaching resources and lesson plans to practise teaching the activity
- receive coaching from the trainer to improve their teaching.
Importantly, the trainer galvanises staff to reach every child – whatever their age and background.
All staff need to attend this training, so it is likely to need a closure day.
5. Remote progress meetings
The hour-long remote progress meetings are with the reading leader and headteacher, held via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.
Using your assessment data downloaded to the School Portal, we discuss the progress data, decide the next steps for children who are receiving tutoring, and plan staff practice and coaching.