Why we keep children reading
As teachers, we love reading stories aloud. Stories that inspire children to read for themselves. Children who choose to read, do well in school and in life.
The more children read, the more they know. The more they know, the more they read.
We want children to feel: ‘I read well. I choose to read. I am a reader.’
What is Keep Children Reading?
Eight short films and documents:
- Help teachers develop a love of story time from Reception to Year 6
- Get children to love and develop the habit of reading
- Offer suggestions of diverse story books for fabulous book corners
- Prompt discussions about a school’s reading culture
- Explain why book banding and rewarding children for reading don’t work
Who is Keep Children Reading for?
Keep Children Reading training films and documents are for reading leaders and teachers in Read Write Inc. Phonics schools with an online subscription.
The Reading Framework, DfE
Our Windows and Mirrors film and booklist
We believe that books are the central pillar in establishing all children’s identity. All children should be seen and see themselves in picture books.
We choose books that include diverse characters who are not defined solely by their ethnicity; strong stories with engaging illustrations.