Fresh Start Primary training and support package
Ruth Miskin Training has a team of 120 trainers who work in schools across the country.
Our blended training packages combine face-to-face training and in-school support with comprehensive online training.
This training package is suitable for schools with pupils with SEN/D or in an additionally resourced provision (ARP), attached to mainstream school.
The training and support include:
- An online subscription
- A leadership implementation day
- Face-to-face training day/s
- Development days
- Remote progress meetings.
The amount of support we provide depends upon the number of pupils who need Fresh Start.
This is why pupils will need to be assessed with the Fresh Start assessment before a decision is made on the package.
For schools with 10 or fewer struggling readers, only elements 1 and 5 are included in the package.
If the school has more than 10 struggling readers, we provide all five elements in the first year, and 1, 4 and 5 in subsequent years.
1. Online subscription
Bite-sized training films
Train tutors to teach Fresh Start
Watch experienced teachers in lessons
Virtual Classroom films
Watch age-appropriate Set 1, 2 and 3 phonic lessons to:
- use during lessons to assess pupils’ progress and improve teaching
- give pupils extra individual practice
- continue lessons if someone less experienced has to teach a group
- send home the lessons you have taught the group each week.
2. Leadership implementation day
We show the reading leader the systems necessary to ensure success. This day is essential for schools with high numbers of struggling readers. This does not require a school closure.
We show you how to:
- upload data to the RMT portal and analyse it
- ensure pupils are grouped homogeneously
- run weekly practice sessions and coach reading tutors
- set online training pathways.
3. Development days
We work with the reading leader, reading tutors and pupils while the school is open.
We work with your reading leader to:
- analyse current data from the RMT portal and decide next steps
- implement weekly practice sessions and coach reading tutors
- set online training pathways for individual tutors
- make the most of the Virtual Classroom in school and at home.
4. Face-to-face training day
We show your staff step by step how to teach Read Write Inc. Phonics, and the processes that underpin learning to read and write.
For each activity, your tutors will:
- watch a film or join in with a demonstration
- use the teaching resources and lesson plans to practise teaching the activity
- receive coaching from the trainer to improve their teaching.
Importantly, the trainer galvanises reading tutors to reach every pupil – whatever their age and background.
5. Remote progress meetings
The hour-long remote progress meetings are with the reading leader and a senior leader, held via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.
Using assessment data downloaded to the School Portal, we discuss the progress data, decide the next steps for pupils who are receiving tutoring, and plan reading tutor practice and coaching.