Ruth Miskin’s training team
Our 150 trainers have a strong track record working in senior positions in schools. They undergo a term’s rigorous training with our top trainer team when they join us. This includes the teaching of reading, writing and language development.
We make sure older children become accurate and fluent readers regardless of their age or background.
Fresh Start training and support package
This is for:
- secondary schools with struggling readers of any age
- primary schools with struggling readers in Years 5 and 6 (in schools without the Read Write Inc. Phonics training and support package)
One-year new school package includes 1, 2 and 3 below.
One-year renewal package includes 1 and 3.
- Fresh Start online subscription
- Two places at a two-day regional training (one place for the reading leader, one for a tutor)
- One in-school development day.
Additional regional training places for more tutors can be booked.
Remote progress meetings are also available.
View the costs here.
1. Fresh Start online subscription
Bite-sized training films
Help you practise teaching Fresh Start
Watch experienced teachers in lessons
Virtual Classroom films
Watch age-appropriate phonic lessons to:
- use during lessons to assess students’ progress and improve teaching
- provide students with extra individual practice.
2. Two-day regional training
Learn step by step how to teach Fresh Start by practising activities, using teaching resources and lessons plans and receiving coaching from the trainer.
For each activity, your reading tutors will:
- watch a film or join in with a demonstration
- use the teaching resources and lesson plans to practise teaching the activity
- receive coaching from the trainer to improve their teaching.
Ofsted guidance 2022
3. Development day
We work with the reading leader, reading tutors and students to:
- analyse current data from the RMT portal and decide next steps
- practise teaching activities and coach reading tutors in lessons
- set online training pathways for individual tutors
- make the most of the Virtual Classroom in school and at home.
For schools with significant number of struggling readers, we recommend additional days’ support.
Remote progress meetings
The hour-long remote progress meetings are with the reading leader and headteacher.
We discuss progress data to decide the next steps for students who are receiving tutoring, and plan staff practice and coaching. Many schools book remote progress meetings two or three times a year.
Note: for schools with a significant number of struggling readers, we recommend additional development days and/or remote progress meetings.
Note: Primary schools with a Read Write Inc. Phonics training and support package have access to the Fresh Start online subscription. The Fresh Start two-day regional training is also available to book.