Teaching every child to read: regardless of background or need
Four of our 150 consultant trainers share their experiences working at Ruth Miskin Training: from recruitment to school support.
I literally have a spring in my step, knowing how lucky I am to work for RMT. I support reading leaders, headteachers and reading teachers to make a difference to all children’s reading and writing. It is great to receive positive feedback from visits to schools and know that I help teach every child to read.
“I love building strong relationships with my schools; working with both familiar faces and reading teachers new to teaching the programme.” I feel very proud to be part of Ruth Miskin Training (RMT). Our team meetings are galvanising and inspire me to know we can teach every child to read. We are an organisation that never stops. There are regular updates, beneficial to the schools we work with and to make our work/life balance easier.
“I have never been happier at work. I enjoy supporting a range of schools; making a difference every day to make sure all children can read and make the best of their futures.” The consultant trainers I met were knowledgeable, inspiring, and enthusiastic. I wanted to be part of an organisation that helps teach every child to read across my region, regardless of background, need or ability.
Each trainer has their own trainer coach for the first 18 months – mine is calm, clear and answers all questions. She has a wealth of knowledge to share about both the Read Write Inc. programmes and systems and processes at RMT. As my knowledge deepens and my consultancy skills grow, I become more and more confident.
“My advice to a potential trainer? Bring a passion for reading and coaching.” RMT’s mission to teach every child to read is my dream job. I was previously a reading leader in a small rural primary school where our mission was to ensure every child learnt to read. Our work with a Ruth Miskin Training (RMT) consultant trainer made a significant impact. I wanted that job!
- Ark Primary, 24 schools in Birmingham, Hastings, London, and Portsmouth 8 December 2023“We want all our pupils to develop extraordinary reading habits. Simply put – Read Write Inc. Phonics makes this possible.”
- Learning Academy Partnership South West – Devon￼ 7 December 2023“Our staff have weekly training, coaching and support to enable every child to reach their full potential.”
- Cornwall Education Learning Trust, Central Cornwall 15 November 2023“Our children have a secure reading foundation with Read Write Inc. Phonics. This reaps huge rewards across the curriculum and shows in our Key Stage 2 results.”
- The Constellation Trust, Kingston upon Hull 14 November 2023“Tutors have grown in confidence and teach to each child’s challenge point. 100% of tutored children make progress in their phonic knowledge.”
- St Mark’s Church of England Primary School, Stockon-on-Tees and the Talk Through Stories programme 6 April 2023“A love of reading and curiosity for stories and language shines brightly in our children.”
- Outwood Grange Academies (OGAT), Wakefield 22 February 2023“Thanks to Read Write Inc, children in our schools read fluently with excellent comprehension – they access all subjects and read widely for pleasure.”
- Blessed Mother Teresa’s Catholic Primary School, Stafford 16 February 2023“Read Write Inc. Phonics really does deliver results. It caters to all children and gives them exactly what they need to read effortlessly and fluently. The results speak for themselves.”
- Old Ford Primary Academy, East London and the Talk Through Stories programme 15 February 2023“Talk Through Stories helps us build inspiring, planned story times for our children. Their love of stories and their growing vocabulary is so evident. They really have fun with the words.”
- St Peter’s CE Primary School, Ashton-under-Lyne 21 November 2022“Read Write Inc Phonics is amazing. It’s brilliant for children. I wish this had been available when my older children attended primary school.”
- How Fresh Start supports struggling readers in secondary schools 3 November 2022“School leaders understood the need to identify specific reading gaps and weaknesses, and made sure that the staff working with struggling readers were trained to teach reading”. Now the whole school is reading: supporting struggling readers in secondary schools Ofsted, 31/10/2022
- The Kemnal Academies Trust (TKAT), South & East of England 1 November 2022“Teaching children to read and to love reading is a shared mission: TKAT directors, headteachers, teaching staff and Ruth Miskin trainers work as a team to remove barriers to learning and reach every child in our academies.”
- Ormiston Meridian Academy and Stoke Secondary Schools, Stoke-on-Trent 12 October 2022“In the most recent (January 2022) Ofsted report of one of our schools, it was recognised that ‘pupils who need help with their phonics knowledge are supported by trained staff.”