In conjunction with the Department for Education, Ruth Miskin Training is pleased to announce a series of Phonics Roadshows. These free events will showcase best practice in the teaching of phonics and early reading.
You are invited to attend a free Phonics Roadshow Event in your area.
Events are hosted in schools that scored above the national average in the 2018 Phonics Screening Check (PSC) and are rated ‘Good’ or ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.
The event will include:
- A talk from the headteacher of the school explaining key literacy leadership decisions
- A learning walk to see teaching of phonics and reading
- A presentation from a school in the area using an alternative phonics programme to the host school
- A presentation from a Ruth Miskin Consultant Trainer: How to get every child reading by six
- A question and answer session
Resource samples from a variety of publishers will be available to view.
Pupils need to develop the skill of blending the sounds into words for reading and establish the habit of applying this skill whenever they encounter new words. This will be supported by practice in reading books consistent with their developing phonic knowledge and skill and their knowledge of common exception words. At the same time, they will need to hear, share and discuss a wide range of high-quality books to develop a love of reading and broaden their vocabulary.
National Curriculum 2014