On Day 1, you will learn how to:
- Make learning to read focused and fun
- Use picture mnemonics to teach children to read and write 30 sounds in 2 months
- Teach blending for reading and segmenting for spelling
- Personalize tutoring for any child with just 5-10 minutes a day
- Increase the speed of children’s word reading
- Embed comprehension from the very beginning of teaching reading
- Assess and group students to ensure instruction is taught in homogeneous groups according to their ‘reading stage, not their age’
- Order resources easily to support your teachers and parents.
On Day 2, you will learn how to:
- Continue to make learning to read focused and fun with storybooks matched to the sounds children know so they develop accuracy, speed and confidence
- Use our unique 'three reads' approach to ensure that children love the story and can read it proudly with fluency and expression at home
- Ensure that speaking and listening is at the heart of teaching
- Provide the tools for your children to become confident writers: by the end of first grade children can write at length using ambitious vocabulary and good spelling
- Pick up struggling readers and writers straight away with personalized tutoring
- Embed consistent management strategies that speed up progress and ensure 100% participation.
9.00am - 3.30pm (8.45am registration)
25 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10004
$550 per person
Early bird special: $525
This workshop is open to teachers, tutors, school/district leaders, and parents seeking fresh, research-based ways to teach reading effectively, efficiently, and enthusiastically. Pre-K teachers looking for child-friendly ways to start their reading instruction at age 4 and any teachers teaching ELL students would also greatly benefit from this workshop.
Arrive at 8.45am for registration, coffee and tea. There will be a 15-minute morning snack (provided) break at 10.30am. We will have a 45-minute lunch. You are invited to bring your own lunch, or explore the shops nearby.
A 3-month trial subscription to the Online School Portal is included with each two-day training booking, and a year's subscription is included with a Two-Day On-Site Training booking. The Portal provides access to films, documents, and resources to support leaders and teaching staff with implementation and ongoing coaching.
Please contact Colleen Somich with any questions about this event - click here to e-mail, or call 1.646.939.7271.