I’m really excited to tell you about our brand new edition of Read Write Inc. Fresh Start for 2017. It’s a delight to bring together the knowledge and experience we’ve gained from working in a variety of schools over 10 years.
As you know, we never stand still. We are always looking for ways to improve our practice so all your children learn to read and write quickly and enjoyably. The new edition of Fresh Start continues to rescue pupils aged 9 and above who are below age related expectations. It uses a proven phonics-based approach to gain results, and now includes clearer teaching notes and guidance for even faster progress.
We’ve also developed the Fresh Start training so that your teachers can make the most of these wonderful new resources.
What's new about this edition of Read Write Inc. Fresh Start?
The Read Write Inc. Fresh Start 2017 edition:
- Accelerates pupils’ progress using finely levelled modules, which are supplemented by updated age-appropriate anthologies
- Supports EAL pupils by emphasising comprehension – also includes revised punctuation, vocabulary and grammar activities.
To make teaching easy Fresh Start includes:
- a clear structure to help you fit Fresh Start into your timetable
- new step-by-step teacher guidance for all lessons
- day-by-day lesson plans that integrate all reading and writing activities.
Features of the new publishing
The new Handbook:
- Incorporates all teaching notes and guidance in one place
- Provides detailed guidance on how to implement Fresh Start as your literacy programme
- Is an essential tool and supports teachers with effective assessment, lesson planning, and organisation to ensure their struggling students learn to read and write confidently.
Module Green Word Cards
A set of Fresh Start Module Green Word Cards have been added to the resources, to provide extra support with vocabulary.
- The double-sided cards include trickier words from the Module texts
- One side includes dots and dashes to show the graphemes in the word
- One side shows the word on its own to help with fluency.
The updated Modules:
- Include step-by-step activities to build skills and confidence
- Contain engaging age-appropriate texts that are appealing to all students
- Include a fiction or non-fiction text and a range of writing and comprehension activities
- Reinforce sounds and graphemes taught during the phonics lessons through further practice in the Modules.
The updated Anthologies:
- Include a variety of lively nonfiction, poetry, and fiction texts to engage even the most reluctant readers
- Encourage pupils to read for pleasure with full colour texts including quizzes, playscripts, and comic strips to enjoy
- Are fully integrated within the Fresh Start programme and support teachers with effective lesson planning and organisation.
Our training matches the new edition
As part of the Read Write Inc. Fresh Start Training, held in-school or at a regional location, we:
- Demonstrate the reading, writing, and spelling process step-by-step
- Ensure that speaking and listening are at the heart of teaching
- Examine footage of real lessons
- Help teaching staff practise and prepare before teaching the programme
- Demonstrate consistent management strategies to ensure pupils participate fully in lessons
- Show teachers how to assess for grouping and how to measure phonic knowledge
- Help teachers set up one-to-one tutoring to guarantee progress.
On Fresh Start Development Days, our Consultant Trainers visit your school to support and coach the literacy leadership team and Fresh Start teaching staff:
- New schools find that one Development Day per term helps them get off to a secure start
- Existing schools benefit from at least one Development Day per year
- Schools requiring improvement can book more intensive support.
We also provide on-going support through the Ruth Miskin Training School Portal:
- A 6-month subscription to the Portal is included with each Development Day booking
- The Portal provides access to films, documents, and resources to support leaders and teaching staff.
Find out more
Attend a free Regional Meeting near you and find out more about the new edition
The events will be available to book on our Regional Meetings page when they have been confirmed.
To see availability for Read Write Inc. Fresh Start training near you click here, or for queries about In-school Training and Development Days, call us on 01275 331 230.
To find out more about the resources and order, click here to visit the OUP website or call the Oxford University Press team on 01536 452 610.