Read-a-lot children do well at school; they teach themselves. They read in two days what many children read in a year. They absorb the vocabulary, grammar, ideas and above all, knowledge. Everything hangs on children wanting to read. Begging, nagging and testing do not get children to want to read. Children are like us - they only read if they want to. I don’t think there’s a big secret about what to do; it’s about showing children how much we love stories. Read aloud with passion and conviction and they’ll beg us to borrow the books. Read great stories, poems and non-fiction every day, all through school. What we love today they might read tomorrow.
We’re updating our website with new recommendations of great stories every month. The list includes classics, fairy stories, legends and recent publications.
Website downloads for Storytime
- Stories for Storytime suggested reading list - enthuse your children to read widely and often.
- Stories for Storytime in Wales suggested reading list - read fabulous Welsh stories and poems.
- Stories to link Read Write Inc. Phonics Storybooks - read poems, stories and non-fiction at a level beyond which children can read independently.
- Stories matched to Read Write Inc. Literacy and Language units - guide children's wider reading.Expand children's horizons culturally, spiritually and emotionally.
- Bring storytime to life - watch an interactive Year 1 storytime. See the Get Writing! techniques in action.
- Reading recommendations - create read-a-lot children with these fantastic stories
Discounts on suggested lists from Boon for Schools
- 10% on orders up to £75
- 15% on orders £75 to £150
- 20% on orders £150 to £300
- 25% on orders over £300.